Format: 2017-09-26 20:09:14

Search in our 114.446 sold cars database

Porsche 550 Spyder by Wendler 1955 -Paris 9139

Year:
Chassis number:
Unknown
Engine number:
Unknown
Body number:
Unknown
Paris
Auction House: RM Sotheby's
Registration number:
Unknown
Sold for: € 2.744.000

110 bhp, 1,488 cc DOHC air-cooled horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine with dual Weber downdraft carburettors, four-speed manual transmission, independent front and rear suspension, and four-wheel drum brakes. Wheelbase: 2,100 mm

The 1955 Frankfurt Motor Show car
One of just 75 factory-built ‘customer’ 550 Spyders
Period US racing history with Mike Marshall, including 1956 Sebring 12 Hours
Freshly serviced by renowned Porsche specialist Prill Porsche Classics
Highly eligible for vintage tours and rallies, including the Mille Miglia, Tour Auto, Le Mans Classic, Goodwood Revival, Monterey Historics, and Monaco Historic Grand Prix!

‘Design is not simply art, it is elegance of function’ – Ferdinand Porsche

THE GIANT KILLER

The 550 Spyder put Porsche firmly on the map as a serious competitor on the world’s racing tracks; indeed, the diminutive mid-engined roadster generated the nickname ‘Giant Killer’ for its ability to defeat much more powerful rivals. Introduced at the 1953 Paris Auto Show, the 550 and its second iteration, the 550A, remained in production through February of 1959, and a total of 130 chassis were constructed before the 718 RSK Spyders appeared. A large proportion of 550 production was destined for the United States.

Built on a frame of seamless mild steel tubing, the 550 utilised a front suspension of double trailing arms and transverse-leaf torsion bars. After the first few examples, the rear suspension was redesigned from leading control arms to trailing arms with swing axles and tubular transverse torsion bars. Porsche’s engineers had planned an all-new engine to power the Spyder at the gruelling Carrera Panamericana, but early testing determined that Dr Ernst Fuhrmann’s Type 547 advanced 1.5-litre air-cooled four-cylinder Boxer engine was not quite ready. Thus, the first few chassis were fitted with conventional pushrod Porsche engines. Soon, however, reliability was ensured and the new ‘Four-Cam’ would be installed in all the 550s, 550As, RSKs, 356 Carreras, and 904s that were to follow.

This marvellous but complex engine, called the ‘Drawer motor’ because its engineering drawings were quickly hidden in Fuhrmann’s desk whenever Dr Porsche walked into his office, was an all-alloy unit displacing 1,498 cubic centimetres. Its camshafts were driven off the Hirth-patent built-up roller-bearing crankshaft by a series of shafts and crown wheels. Cam timing took dozens of man-hours to properly establish, but once all the clearances were correctly set, the high-revving motor was very reliable. It featured dry-sump lubrication and two spark plugs per cylinder. With compression of 9.5:1 and breathing through a pair of Weber downdraft carburettors, this engine produced a strong 110 brake horsepower. In a chassis that weighed barely 590 kilograms, 550s were capable of top speeds approaching 210 km/h (140 mph), dependent on gearing. Because these little roadsters were ostensibly required to be street driven, they were fitted with a token canvas tonneau that met the letter of the rulebook but were otherwise better left folded away in the garage.

CHASSIS NUMBER 550-0068

This beautiful 550 Spyder left the factory at Zuffenhausen on 19 September 1955, to be eventually delivered to an American customer, but first, there would be an intermediate stop: Porsche’s stand at the 1955 Frankfurt Motor Show. There, it shared the company’s display with a 356 Speedster, a coupé, and a cabriolet. Chassis number 550-0068 was shown in semi-racing form; that is, there was a small racing windscreen to protect the driver and an alloy half tonneau covering the passenger side of the cockpit. Suggesting, perhaps, that this was a dual-purpose sports car, it was also fitted with moon hubcaps, which were standard fitment to cars delivered in street trim. Adding to the sporting impression that Porsche wanted to convey, the rear fenders were topped with painted ‘darts’, or flashes. Today 0068 has been restored to its original silver paint with light blue darts, a very attractive combination.

The factory build sheet specifies that 0068 was to be shipped to ‘1 kunde/customer USA’ following the Frankfurt show. That customer was a gentleman named Mike Marshall, a Porsche/Volkswagen dealer and amateur racer of Miami, Florida. Mr Marshall wasted no time in putting his new 550 to the task for which it was intended. Just two months after the car starred on Porsche’s display at Frankfurt, Marshall gave the new Spyder a victory in its first outing, an SCCA race at Waterboro, South Carolina. Next up was December Speed Week at Nassau in the Bahamas, where Marshall finished 6th in the preliminaries, dropped out of both the Governor’s Cup and All-Porsche contests, but came back to score a respectable 4th place in the Under-Two-Litre Production race. In February 1956, Marshall won a pair of SCCA Regional races at Punta Gorda, Florida; a 1st and 2nd at Waterboro; and then, sharing the wheel with Porsche’s racing chief and occasional driver Huschke von Hanstein, managed a creditable 14th overall and 3rd in class at the Sebring 12 Hours. Von Hanstein was quite familiar with 0068; he had posed with it at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

Through the remainder of 1956 and early 1957, Marshall ran numerous other amateur races including Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin; Montgomery, Alabama; Chester, Carolina; Gainesville, Florida; the 1956 Nassau Speed Week; and then a race weekend at the very difficult 2.4-mile circuit at New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Unfortunately, in a preliminary event, Marshall had an off, side-lining the Spyder for the weekend. Fifteen months later, 0068 was sold to Joe Sheppard, a very talented amateur who’d picked up the nickname ‘The Tampa Hotshoe’ and who drove the car at Chester and Gainesville. The car’s racing history then lists Sheppard’s friend Duncan Forlong, who borrowed the car for two races at Dunnellon Park, Florida.

It is believed that 0068 then remained in Florida. When recently quizzed about the car, Joe Sheppard could not recall exactly when it was sold; it was a deal put together by his father. The new owner is believed to have been Bob Ross, who made a regular appearance at the Sebring track with racing friends in his new Spyder. In the mid- to late-1980s, the Porsche was bought by Lynn Larson, who almost immediately sold it on to his friend Phil Bagley, who then sold the car to its new owner who shipped it to Italy.

The car was inspected on 12 November 1989, by a Mr Parigi, prior to issuance of FIVA license number 0120620 by the Automotoclub Storico Italiano. That registration process was not completed until 21 April 1997. Italian registration number BG-B67015 was assigned 28 August 1997 in the name of Pierluigi Bartoli of Riva di Solto, who had acquired the car in July of 1993, per the Estratto Chronologico, copies of which are included in the car’s history file. In 1999, the current owner, an Italian businessman and enthusiast, purchased this historic racer.

Moteur quatre cylindres opposés à plat refroidi par air à 2 ACT par banc, deux carburateurs Weber inversés, boîte manuelle à quatre rapports, suspensions avant et arrière indépendantes et quatre freins à tambour. Empattement : 2 100 mm

La voiture du Salon de Francfort 1955
Une des soixante-quinze 550 Spyder « compétition client »
Historique en compétition aux Etats-Unis avec Mike Marshall dont les 12 Heures de Sebring
Récemment révisée par le réputé spécialiste Porsche Prill Porsche Classics
Parfaitement éligible dans les grandes épreuves historiques classiques dont les Mille Miglia, Tour Auto, Le Mans Classic, Goodwood Revival, Monterey Historics, et le Grand Prix Historique de Monaco

« La conception n’est pas seulement un art, mais la recherche de l’élégance dans la fonction » - Ferdinand Porsche

LA TUEUSE DE GÉANTS

La 550 Spyder installa définitivement Porsche parmi les plus sérieux compétiteurs sur les circuits mondiaux et les petits roadsters à moteur central reçurent bientôt le surnom de « tueuse de géants » pour leur capacité à vaincre des rivales beaucoup plus puissantes. Introduite au Salon de Paris 1953, la 550 et sa deuxième version, la 550 A, restèrent en production jusqu’en 1959 pour un total de 130 châssis construits avant l’arrivée des 718 Spyder RSK. Une grande partie de la production de la 550 fut exportée aux États-Unis.
Construite sur un châssis en échelle fait de tubes d’acier doux étiré (sans soudure), la 550 utilisait une suspension avant à doubles bras tirés et barres de torsion transversales à lames d’acier. Après quelques exemplaires, la suspension arrière fut redessinée, les bras de guidage poussés étant remplacés par des bras tirés contrôlant les demi-essieux oscillants suspendus par des barres de torsion transversales. Les ingénieurs de Porsche avaient prévu un tout nouveau moteur pour propulser la Spyder engagée dans la terrible Carrera Panamericana, mais les premiers essais montrèrent que le très moderne quatre-cylindres boxer refroidi par air Type 547 de 1,5 litre du Dr Ernst Führmann n’était pas tout à fait au point. C’est pourquoi les premiers châssis reçurent des moteurs Porsche à culbuteurs conventionnels. Mais très vite, la fiabilité fut obtenue et le nouveau « 4 arbres » équipait les 550, 550 A, RSK, 356 Carrera, et 904 qui allaient se succéder.

Ce magnifique mais complexe moteur – surnommé « le moteur du tiroir » car ses plans étaient vite dissimulés dans le tiroir de Führmann quand le Dr Porsche entrait dans son bureau – était un bloc en alliage léger de 1 498 cm3 de cylindrée. Ses arbres à cames étaient commandés depuis le vilebrequin Hirth démontable et sur rouleaux par une série d’arbres et de pignons. Le réglage parfait de la distribution demandait des heures de main d’œuvre, mais dès que tous les jeux étaient correctement réglés, ce moteur qui pouvait tourner très vite était très fiable. Son graissage était à carter sec et chaque cylindre comportait deux bougies. Avec un rapport volumétrique de 9,5 :1 et alimenté par deux carburateurs double corps Weber inversés, ce moteur délivrait 110 chevaux. Avec un châssis pesant à peine 590 kg, les 550 étaient capables de frôler 210 km/h selon leur rapport final. Du fait que ces petits roadsters devaient être utilisés normalement sur la route, ils furent équipés d’un petit couvre-tonneau symbolique pour respecter la lettre du règlement, mais cette toile restait généralement au garage.

LE CHÂSSIS N° 550-0068

Cette superbe 550 Spyder quitta l’usine de Zuffenhausen le 19 septembre 1955 pour être livrée à un client américain, mais elle fit escale auparavant sur le stand Porsche du Salon de Francfort 1955, stand qu’elle partagea avec des 356 Speedster, coupé et cabriolet. Le châssis 550-0068 y fut exposé dans une version semi compétition c’est-à-dire avec un petit pare-brise course pour protéger le pilote et un demi couvre-tonneau en aluminium au-dessus de la place passager. Sans doute pour suggérer qu’il s’agissait d’une voiture de sport polyvalente, elle était dotée de grands enjoliveurs de roue standard sur les voitures en finition « route ». Pour accentuer l’impression de voiture de sport que Porsche voulait créer, les ailes arrière étaient surmontées de « flammes » ou de flèches peintes. Actuellement, 0068 a été restaurée dans sa couleur argent d’origine avec des traits bleu pâle formant une combinaison très séduisante.

La fiche de fabrication de l’usine précise que 0068 devait être expédiée à « 1 client américain » après le Salon de Francfort. Ce client était un gentleman nommé Mike Marshall, distributeur Porsche/Volkswagen et pilote amateur de Miami (Floride). M. Marshall n’attendit pas longtemps pour confier à la 550 les tâches pour lesquelles elle avait été construite. Deux mois seulement après la présentation sur le stand Porsche à Francfort, Marshal donna à la nouvelle Spyder une victoire dès sa première sortie sur circuit, une course du SCCA à Waterboro en Caroline du Sud. La suivante eut lieu à la December Speed Week à Nassau aux Bahamas où Marshall finit sixième lors des épreuves préliminaires, abandonna dans les épreuves Governor’s Cup et All-Porsche, mais revint pour signer une respectable quatrième place en catégorie « moins de 2 litres » dans la course pour voitures de production. En février 1956, Marshall remporta deux courses régionales du SCCA à Punta Gorda (Floride), une première et une deuxième places à Waterboro, puis, associé à Huschke von Hanstein, directeur des courses chez Porsche et pilote occasionnel, il signa une excellente 14e place au général et une 3e de catégorie aux 12 Heures de Sebring. Von Hanstein connaissait très bien 0068 avec laquelle il avait été beaucoup photographié au Salon de Francfort.

Au cours du restant de l’année 1956 et au début de 1957, Marshall disputa de nombreuses courses d’amateurs dont Elkhart Lake (Wisconsin), Montgomery (Albama), Chester (Caroline), Gainesville (Floride), la Nassau Speed Week 1956 et un week-end de courses sur le très difficile circuit de 3, 8 km de New Smyrna Beach (Floride). Malheureusement, lors d’une épreuve éliminatoire, Marshall sortit et la Spyder ne courut pas ce week-end-là. Quinze mois plus tard, 0068 fut vendue à Joe Sheppard, un talentueux amateur qui avait été surnommé « The Tampa Hotshoe » (la semelle de plomb de Tampa) et qui pilota la voiture à Chester et à Gainesville. L’historique en course de 0068 cite un ami de Sheppard, Duncan Forlong, qui emprunta la voiture pour deux courses à Dunnellon Park en Floride.

On pense que 0068 resta ensuite en Floride. Récemment interrogé à propos de la voiture, Joe Sheppard ne put se rappeler précisément la date de la vente qui fut en fait conclue par son père. Le nouveau propriétaire a dû être Bob Ross qui apparut régulièrement à Sebring avec des amis pilotes engagés sur sa nouvelle Spyder. Dans la seconde moitié des années 1980, la Porsche fut achetée par Lynn Larson qui le revendit très vite à son ami Phil Bagley, lequel la céda à un nouveau propriétaire qui l’expédia en Italie.
La voiture fut examinée le 12 novembre 1989 par un certain M. Parigi avant qu’elle ne reçoive sa licence FIVA n° 0120620 émise par l’Automotoclub Storico Italiano. Le processus d’immatriculation dura jusqu’au 21 avril 1997 . Le numéro italien BG-B64015 fut attribué le 28 août 1997 au nom de Pierluigi Bartoli de Riva di Solto qui avait acheté la voiture en juillet 1993 selon l’Estratto Chronologico dont des copies sont présentes dans le dossier historique de la voiture. Le propriétaire actuel, un industriel italien passionné, acheta cette Porsche de course en 1999.

Send this auction result to a friend

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.